Saturday, 22 August 2026

TV Review: Doctor Stranger (2014) (Drama)

Doctor Stranger (닥터 이방인)
2014
20 episodes
MA15+
Drama
Netflix

After fleeing North Korea, Park Hun becomes a top surgeon in South Korea and vows to reunite with the woman he left behind.

Doctor Stranger is such a famous older K-drama but I had never seen it, so I decided to remedy that at last. Having done so, I felt that this series had some strengths but also some weaknesses. I liked the storyline overall; however, I felt that it descended a little too much into melodrama at times. In fact, as the series progressed, I found myself less interested in Park Hun's story and romance (the latter of which never fully worked for me) and more caught up in Han Jae-joon's character arc. I find Park Hae-jin more attractive and a better actor too, though, so those things could also have been factors in my shift of interest to the subplot. The ending too felt a little forced, everything drawn out to fill time in the final episode while also seeming somehow too sudden and convenient. That said, the medical drama aspects, the patients and their surgeries were all interesting, and overall I would give this one four stars. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment