Saturday, 22 August 2026

Theatre Review: Hansel and Gretel (Opera) - 21 August 2026

Hansel and Gretel
21 August 2026
Her Majesty's
Adelaide
Opera

I should preface this review by saying that I won tickets to see this performance after completing a survey for the State Opera SA earlier in the year. The prize was a double pass to all five of the city-based main season productions for 2026, so I will have more reviews to follow as the year progresses, and will then also share a wrap-up post with my thoughts on the season overall. But for now, onto Hansel and Gretel....

This was my first time seeing this opera, although a couple of pieces of music, notably the 'Abendsegen', were already familiar to me. This was a strong production on so many fronts. The opera itself, the music, I really enjoyed, all beautifully performed by the ASO. The cast were all stunning, but I especially loved Kangmin Justin Kim (whom I'd love to hear as Oberon one day) as Hansel and Catherine Carby as the Witch. The set and costumes were wonderful too and added so much to the experience. The use of the turntable centre-stage worked so well, as did the contrast between how the children's house and the Witch's house were presented. The trees were great with their turnout mirrors, and the whole visual aspect really helped to bring the magic of the fairytale to life. Everything in this production came together so beautifully that the only single negative I could possibly mention would be my usual gripe about the exorbitant cost of the flimsy programme (of which most of the content was ads). My husband also said he really enjoyed the performance, and this was his favourite so far of this year's five-production Adelaide season. Next week is Into the Woods, and I can already see how easily the basic elements of the set will work for that show too, making it easy to alternate between the two productions over the course of the week. I am obviously giving this production 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment