2025
M
Black Comedy
A bank robber released from jail must unlock his traumatised brother's memory to recover stolen loot.
When I saw that an Anders Thomas Jensen--Mads Mikkelsen movie was showing at the Nordic Film Festival this year, I naturally had to go and see it as I have enjoyed all the black comedies by this duo. The Last Viking was another strong work with a lot going for it. It was darkly funny but also had a lot of pathos and emotion below the top layer of humour. I was laughing aloud one minute but thoughtful the next, as the story covered themes such as 'being different' and how to accept the differences of others. Mads Mikkelsen and Nikolaj Lie Kaas have a long history of working together and the comic timing between the two of them was therefore perfection. This was perhaps not my favourite of the six movies Anders and Mads have done together (Adam's Apples retains its top spot), but it was certainly still really good and would merit a rewatch if I get the chance in the future. I am giving it 4.5 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment