Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Film Review: Bride of the Year (2026) (Rom-Com)

Bride of the Year (Bruid van die Jaar)
2026
PG
Rom-Com

When Lienkie's dream of building a family of her own comes crashing down, she hatches a devious plan to win "Bride of the Year" and get back at her ex.

When I first saw a snippet of Bride of the Year in the Coming Soon list on Netflix, I had thought it was in Dutch. It was only when I started watching the film in full that I realised it was Afrikaans, which I think makes it the first thing I have ever watched in that language! This film is a rom-com and it was a fairly predictable one. There was never any doubt how things would go, and get the journey to get there was enjoyable enough that I didn't mind the predictability. The set-up was amusing, the main characters made a nice pair whose relationship progressed in a way that felt natural, and the side characters were all fun. It's not a deeply thought-provoking piece, but it's the kind of film you can watch if you are feeling down and want something that will make you smile. I am giving it 4 stars. Worth a look if you like sweet and funny rom-coms.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment