Saturday, 25 July 2026

Book Review: Sleep Well, Mommy by Seo Mi-ae (Thriller)

Sleep Well, Mommy
Seo Mi-ae
Ecco
15 September 2026 (2010)
239
eBook - EPUB
Thriller
ARC via Edelweiss

Criminal psychologist Seonkyeong receives a surprising call one day. Yi Byeongdo, a serial killer whose gruesome murders shook the world, is willing to break his silence and speak exclusively to her. Intrigued, Seonkyeong agrees to interview him.

That same day, Seonkyeong’s husband brings home Hayeong, his eleven-year-old daughter from a previous marriage. Hayeong has been living with her grandparents since her mother’s mysterious death, and now her grandparents have been killed in a house fire.

Seonkyeong is determined to make the child feel at home, but to her husband’s frustration she finds it difficult to connect with the child who says little and acts strangely. It’s not long before Seonkyeong notices similarities between her stepdaughter and Yi Byeongdo: they both look at her with cold eyes, each possessing an unnerving calmness that hides a fierce, cruel temper.

As Seonkyeong begins to question details of Hayeong’s past—and as her relationship with Yi Byeongdo grows more complex—she begins to wonder what her young stepdaughter is truly capable of.

 

Sleep Well, Mommy was a book with a lot going for it. I loved the setup of the story and the idea behind it, and it was also great to see the tale from the different character's perspectives, though, for a criminal psychologist, I found Seonkyeong a bit naive at times. The ending was chilling and satisfying in some ways, but as I closed the last page, I found myself wishing it had been a little longer, as I thought there was room for a lot more psychological exploration of all the characters if the story had been extended; it felt like we had only brushed the surface when I wanted to dive deeper. But for the length it was, the pacing was generally good and the story held my interest from start to finish, so I am giving it 4 stars.

I received this book as a free eBook ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment