Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Book Review: Mestra by Madeline Miller (Fantasy/Short Story)

Mestra
Madeline Miller
Ecco
29 September 2026
29
eBook - EPUB
Fantasy/Short Story
ARC via Edelweiss

A cursed father, a gifted daughter

Mestra, daughter of the King of Thessaly, is granted a unique gift by Poseidon: the ability to transform into any being she can imagine.

Her father, on the other hand, is cursed: As punishment for disrespecting the goddess Demeter, he is in possession of an unnatural, insatiable hunger.

Devoted Mestra suggests using her new gift to help her father. But if his hunger is bottomless, how much will he take from her? Soon she must decide: Will she keep helping her father survive, or finally break free?

 

Mestra was an entertaining short story I finished in a single sitting. At first I thought I didn't know this particular myth, but as I read the story I realised it was familiar to me even though the details hadn't immediately come to mind. I enjoyed Miller's take on the tale, which felt like part fantasy part parable. Despite the short page count, it was a compelling read and I felt we did get to know Mestra as a character. If you are already a fan of Miller's writing, this book would make a nice addition to your collection. If you are new to her works, it would be a nice, light introduction. I am giving it 4 stars. 

I received this book as a free eBook ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment