Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Book Review: The Formosa Exchange by Huang Chong-Kai (Speculative Fiction)

The Formosa Exchange
Huang Chong-Kai
Honford Star
18 September 2026
355
eBook - EPUB
Speculative Fiction
ARC via NetGalley

On the 20th of May, 2024, one day after the inauguration of Taiwan’s first Indigenous President, the entire population of the island wakes up to discover they have suddenly switched places with the residents of Cuba. Two multi-ethnic island communities with colonial histories suddenly find themselves facing baffling new questions, as well as the greedy weight of a new “mainland” hegemon.

Huang Chong-Kai’s astonishing work of speculative realism opens new conversations on race, marginality, and the (re)telling of history by weaving multiple voices and genres into a single work. We experience the miraculous switch through the eyes of Taiwan’s first Indigenous president, a Cuban painter, a Han Taiwanese who wants to be Indigenous, and a former inmate of Guantanamo Bay. The author transforms these stories into a narrative ecosystem by presenting them through a variety of different media styles, including book reviews, podcast transcripts, and interviews.

 

The Formosa Exchange was a book with a fascinating premise. It explored some really interesting themes too, such as the experiences of marginalised parts of society and the way historical narratives can be reshaped and cast in different lights. For the first third or so of the book I was really invested, but as the narrative style began to change I became more detached and found it increasingly hard to relate to the story and follow the author's intentions. I would say this is a book that is speculative in style as well as in content, and for me that didn't quite work. I think it may divide other readers too. I would recommend it for readers who don't mind more experimental narrative styles or those who are interested in speculative fiction firmly based in real contexts. I am giving it 3.5 stars.

I received this book as a free eBook ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment