Saturday, 8 August 2026

Book Review: Smoke, Mirrors and Misdemeanours by Enola M. Douglas (Fantasy)

Smoke, Mirrors and Misdemeanours
Enola M. Douglas
Studio Mika
1 October 2026
403
eBook - EPUB
Fantasy
ARC via NetGalley

Aura Cassia is a Kitchen Witch with no lineage, a modest bakery, and an orphanage full of mixed-blood children about to be homeless. When a ruthless property magnate sets his sights on demolishing her sanctuary, Cassia storms the city's most exclusive gentlemen's club to demand a miracle.

Enter Varil Arkenoth: the 'Idle Prince' of the Demon District. Society whispers about his disregard for duties, but Ark guards a secret life far more dangerous—and purposeful—than his reputation suggests. He offers her a scandalous pact: play his fiancĂ©e for the Yulefrost season to ward off his mother's matchmaking attempts, and he will use his influence to save her sanctuary.

As their romp across glittering galas turn into late-night domestic comforts, the line between performance and reality blurs. In a world that values bloodlines over belonging, a stubborn baker and a demon with too many secrets must decide if their fake bond is worth a real war.

 

I greatly enjoyed Smoke, Mirrors and Misdemeanours. While a cosy fantasy in some respects, it still had some darker moments and some romantasy-style steamy ones, so I think it straddles both genres and would make a great transition piece for readers looking to dip their toes from one style to another. Both Cassia and Ark were well-developed characters who grew over the course of the story. I enjoyed, too, the fact that their relationship progressed at a reasonable pace and didn't feel like insta-love or insta-lust. The side characters were also memorable and well written, even those that did not appear for long; they still all felt distinct and necessary to the story. The book concluded in a satisfactory way while leaving room for more, and it did appear a sequel is planned. I, for one, will definitely read a second book. I still want to know the truth about the maybe-cat Anuck! I am notoriously stingy when it comes to giving five stars, so at first I planned to give this 4.5, but when I compared it in my mind to other books I've given that rating to recently, this one came out well ahead, so I have decided to go all the way with a five star rating.

I received this book as a free eBook ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment